ASSOCIATION SECURITY AND PAYROLL DEDUCTIONS
All teachers shall either:
1. Sign and deliver to the Association within sixty ( 60) days of the commencement of employment a membership form authorizing payment of the dues and assessment of the Association (including the National and Michigan Education Associations) and such authorization shall continue in effect from year to year unless revoked in writing between June 1 and September 1 of a given year, or
2. Cause to be paid to the Association a service fee set by the Association (including the National and Michigan Education Associations) within sixty (60) days of the commencement of employment.
3. The Association assumes the obligation of transmitting either membership forms or service fee forms to the Board for purposes of payroll deduction.
4. If neither the service fee nor the membership dues and assessments are paid, the Board, upon receiving a signed statement from the Association indicating the teacher has failed to comply with this condition, shall immediately notify said teacher that the service fee will be deducted from the pays remaining for dues payroll deduction, unless otherwise agreed by the Association (see IV C).
5. The Association agrees to assume the legal defense of any suit or action brought against the Board because of Section A of this Article. The Association further agrees to indemnify the Board for any costs or damages which may be assessed against it as the result of said suit or action.
a. The Association, after consultation with the Board, has the right to decide whether to defend any said action or whether to appeal the decision of any court or other tribunal regarding the validity of this Section or the damages which may be assessed against the Board by any court or tribunal.
b. The Association has the right to choose the legal counsel to defend any said suit or action.
c. The Association shall have the right to compromise or settle any claim made against the Board under this Section.
d. The word, “Association,” as used in Section A of this Article includes the Carman-Ainsworth Education Association and the Michigan Education Association and indicates that both are a party to and jointly responsible for items outlined in Section A of this Article.
e. Article IV, Section A, shall be effective only upon written acknowledgement by the Michigan Education Association that they are a party to and jointly responsible for items outlined in Article IV, Section A. Section A, Number 5, shall not be retroactive to any school year preceding 1971-72.
f. The deduction of membership dues shall be made from each paycheck for 20 pays beginning with the second pay, and the Board agrees to remit to the Association all monies so deducted, accompanied by a list of teachers from whom the deductions have been made.